Amazing facts about Millets
Millets are a traditional staple food. In India, millets are grown on about 17 million tonnes ans contribute 10% to the country’s food grain basket. They are nutri-cereals to have high nutrient content which includes protein, essential fatty acids, dietary fibre and B-vitamins.
The millet grain contains about 65% carbohydrate, a high proportion of which is in the form of non-starchy prevention of constipation, lowering in blood cholesterol and slow release of glucose to the blood stream during digestion. Millets are comparable to rice and wheat or rich in some of the minerals as well as fatty acids.
Sorghum and Pearl millet are known as Jowar and Bajra. Sorghum or Jowar has 11.9% of moisture and about 10.4% of protein and a lower fat content of 1.9%.
Health benefits of Millets
1. Beneficial in detoxifying body.
2. Lowers bad cholesterol level.
3. Prevents onser of breast cancer.
4. Helps to prevent type 2 diabetes.
5. Effective in reducing blood pressure.
6. Helps to protect against Heart Disease.
7. Aids in treating respiratory conditions like Asthma.
8. Eliminates problems like constipation, excess gas, bloating and cramping.