Dr. Bimal chhajer MBBS, MD is a well-known personality in the world of medical science. He is a pioneer in non invasive cardiology in india.
Dr. Chhajer, born in 1961 in a jain family, grew up in a small village in west bengal and passed his matriculation with flying colours from local school. He studied in st. Lawrence high school in kolkata thereafter and in 1986 passed out his mbbs from R.G.Kar medical college, kolkata.
At the age of 25 years he left kolkata from delhi, where he started working in the cardiology department in dr. Ram Manohar Lohia hospital, New Delhi. A particular incident changed his life here and reformed his idea about the treatment of cardiac patients. He started advocating non invasive or preventive cardiology.
He then completed his MD in 1989 from king George’s medical college, Lucknow where he took up a research study to treat heart patients Non-Invasively. Post MD he worked at the famous all India institute of medical sciences (AIIMS) for six years (1989-1995) as a senior resident and as an assistant professor. He also got training in yoga therapy. His research at the AIIMS showed that not only heart patients could prevent coronary heart disease but can also reverse or cure heart disease.
Dr. Chhajer, during this period also got trained by Dr. Dean Ornish, who pioneered the lifestyle treatment in USA.
In 1995 based on his past research Dr. Bimal chhajer resigned from the AIIMS and started practically training and treating heart patients by his new treatment called “SAAOL” science and art of living in Delhi.
In 1996 Dr. Chhajer opened his second clinic in Mumbai and in due course of time in Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad. These were followed by a spread of Saaol Centers all over the country. In 2009 Saaol opened its first international Center in Dhaka, Bangladesh and a year later in nepal, kathmandu. In 2016 dr. Chhajer has 48 centers across india and the subcontinent. Saaol heart center is now the largest chain of non invasive cardiology clinics in the world.
Today his brainchild “Saaol Heart Program” is widely accepted treatment program for reversing heart disease – where in addition to the allopathic medicines, patients are taught yoga, meditation, zero oil cooking, stress management, exercise and medical knowledge. Dr. Chhajer has authored about 70 books for heart patients and health , his numerous lectures are available in the form of DVD, Internet/You tube. He is a magnificent teacher of preventive cardiology. He has been travelling all over India and world to promote non-invasive mode of treatment. He also publishes 2 monthly magazines on heart care.
He has treated more than one lac heart patients (till 2015) successfully who could avoid by pass surgery or angioplasty. He has received many awards including Rajiv Gandhi Rashtriya Ekta award.
Dr. Chhajer has been honored with many prestigious awards. Some of them are as follows.
1. Rajiv gandhi rashtriya ekta award, 2002.
2. Bhaksar award for the year 2002 by bharat nirman.
3. Samaj ratna award by skjm samiti, 2004.
4. Rotary international vocational award, 2002.
5. Swami vivekanand memorial oration award from delhi medical association, 2004.
6. Mspi outstanding personalities award by management studies promotion institute, 1998.
7. Prominent doctors award by lion’s club.1998
8. P.s. Varier memorial speech at arya vidya sala, kottakkal, 1999.
9. Kent memorial lecture at homeopathy association, 1995.
10. “lbf visionaryaward for excellance, 2009” by laksha bharati foundation.
11. “sri raghunath rai saraf smriti puraskar” on 28th march, 2010 at the ficci auditorim, new delhi.
12. Health siromani award on september 5, 2010 by famous “laughter club”.
13. Jeevan rakshak award, by kolkata maheshwari samaj in september 2010.
14. Third a p dewan memorial lecture, 2006 by the “servants of the people society, lajpat bhawan” july, 2006.
15. “doctor of the year 2012” award by the “india book of records” presented on 27th february, 2013.
16. “banga seva samman, 2011” – the prestigious award for the people of bengal who have reached excellence.
17.”manav seva ratna samman” in 2016 by bhagwan mahavir seva sansthan.
1. Dr. Chhajer treated our honorable past president of india late dr. Shankar dayal sharma-when he was the president of india.
2. Mrs pratibha patil, another ex president of india also attended dr. Chhajer’s 3 day workshop with her husband, sri devi singh sekhawat.
3. Dr. Chhajer was the organizing secretary of a major international conference, “first international conference on lifestyle and health” held at the all india institute of medical science (aiims) in 1995. He was working at the institute at that time.
4. He also organized a bigger conference in 1999 called “second international conference on lifestyle and health”. Mr. N.t. Shanmugam, who was the union health minister of india at that time, inaugurated the conference. Delhi health minister dr. A.k. Walia was the chief guest. This conference was supported by the who (world health organisation) and was held at the india habitat center, new delhi.
5. He also organized conference on “how to solve chronic diseases” in 2000. Dr. Harsha vardhan, ex. Health minister of delhi, inaugurated the national conference.
6. Dr. Chhajer also organized a national conference on “health education for all-the first step” in phd chamber of commerce in december, 2001 where strategies were made to educate public on health-as a best and cheapest mode of treatment.
7. Dr. Chhajer is also an adventures. He was a member of scientific team of “11th indian scientific expedition to antarctica”. He represented a heart patient who aims to reverse coronary heart disease. All india institute of medical science (aiims) in the expedition as was there in the ice continent for 4 months in 1991-1992.
8. On october 16, 1998 sri l k advani, the deputy prime minister of india inaugurated the third anniversary function of saaol and launched dr. Chhajer’s magazine “heart talk” in presence of mrs. Maneka gandhi, the then union minister of india.
9. Dr. Bimal chhajer has published many scientific papers on his topic, participated in major international conferences. More than 2000 articles have been written on him in major newspapers and magazines in india and abroad.
10. Dr. Chhajer has been invited to deliver public lectures all over the world. He has delivered, on invitation, lectures in usa, uk, germany, thailand, sultanate of oman, uae (dubai) bangladesh, china and nepal.
11. Dr. Chhajer conducted one workshop on “aggressive preventive cardiology” for the medical doctors organized by the delhi medical association on 2nd september, 2001.
12. Dr. Chhajers patients include many eminent industrialists, businessmen, film personalities, advocates, architects, doctors and cardiologists people from usa, uk, australia, africa, middle east, sri lanka, nepal, bangladesh, thailand and canada, have come all the way to dr. Chhajer’s treatment program and have benefited.
13. In july, 1996 dr. Chhajer organized a seminar called “heart care awareness – the role of media” in collaboration with the indian express group. Dr. Pratap reddy of appolo; dr. K.s. Reddy of aiims; dr. K.l. Chopra; heart care foundation of india; dr. J.k. Jain (jain tv) were among the speakers.
14. On 5th december, 2006 dr. Chhajer delivered a talk for the “north india regional council of chartered accountants of india” for more than 1000 chartered accountants.
15. On 27th june 2006 dr. Chhajer was invited by the aditya birla group of companies to train the executives of the company, in kolkata.
16. On january 2014 dr. Chhajer delivered a talk on “scientific basis of vegetarianism” at the 6th all india jain doctors convention at the india habitat center, new delhi.
17. Dr. Chhajer has been regularly delivering talks for the “national yoga week” by the morarjee desai institute of yoga and naturopathy, the nodal organization of ayush department, govt of india.
18. Dr. Chhajer was invited in 2011 for a talk in the delhi state secretariat for the top brass of the delhi government which was presided by the principle secretary of delhi sri rakesh mohan.
19. On 25th september, 2011 dr. Bimal chhajer was invited by the indian medical association to deliver a talk for the doctors on “prevention and reversal of heart disease” at the rotary hall in kolkata.
20. On february, 2013 dr. Chhajer organized a two days heart care workshop for the members of the “invester’s club” – the famous delhi investors organization led by sri subhas lakhotia, the tax guru.
21. On 2nd january, 2010 dr.chhajer delivered a talk in the famous “bhakti vedant hospital” in mumbai. It was organized by the noted industrialist sri hrishikesh mafatlal. A 150 minute film was prepared by the film director mr. Rajesh bhatia based on this talk. This talk is one of the most viewed talks in you tube now.
22. Dr. Chhajer was the organizing secretary of a two day national conference on ” integration of yoga (specially meditation) into medical science” held on 18th and 19th october, 2014 at the adhyatma sadhana kendra, mehrouli. It was inaugurated by mr. N sanyal, the health secretary (ayush) government of india
23. On 1st march, 2015 dr. Bimal chhajer was the guest of honourin the annual festival of rpiit, the famous engineering college, in karnal, haryana. The talk by him here was attended by 3000 people.
24. Dr. Chhajer delivered about 40 public talks on “how the keep heart healthy” in 40 cities under the “knowledge series” by the dainik bhaskar group of news papers (the largest chain of newspapers in india) during 2015-2016.
25. Dr. Chhajer was one of the invited speakers in the world congress of cardiology in beijing, china in 2013. His talk was on eecp & lifestyle